birding-aus

'Native' birds on the new $5 banknote

To: 'Denise Goodfellow' <>, 'Stephen Ambrose' <>
Subject: 'Native' birds on the new $5 banknote
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 00:00:38 +0000
I appreciate the value of being accurate in these things and have pushed the
issue in several cases before. But sometimes I have to laugh at us (and
myself) at being a bit too precious. And yes as it is clearly an Eastern
Spinebill they could have been closer to the truth on colours. But it is a
stylised representation.

The inaccuracy is hardly without precedent. I raise the question as to how
zoologically accurate and endemic are the fauna portrayed in this well known
emblem (extract from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn).

The Lion and the Unicorn are symbols of the United Kingdom. They are,
properly speaking, heraldic supporters appearing in the full Royal coat of
arms of the United Kingdom. The lion stands for England and the unicorn for
Scotland. The combination therefore dates back to the 1603 accession of
James I of England who was already James VI of Scotland. By extension, they
have also been used in the Coat of Arms of Canada since 1921.

Philip