birding-aus

Parrots in Flight. Who's Fastest?

To: Mick Roderick <>
Subject: Parrots in Flight. Who's Fastest?
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 06:38:28 +0000
This thread has re-entered my thinking today after watching the Swift
Parrots that have appeared in Hackett ACT over the past few days.

For some reason they seem to be targeted by all the resident parrots
(Australian Kin-Parrot, Eastern and Crimson Rosellas) and Noisy Miners.
The Swities seem able to out accelerate all the other species without
really trying and sustain whatever speed they needed to stay in front.

On a couple of occasions they were doing this towards me at head height and
their speed was very obvious.  They didn't seem to have that much concern
about nearby objects and on a couple of occasions I thought I was going to
have to seek professional help to remove a parrot from my nose

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 25 February 2016 at 11:20, Mick Roderick <> wrote:

> Swift Parrots have often been called the "fasting flying parrot in the
> world" or "world's fastest parrot" in the media, e.g.:
> https://gorcc.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/worlds-swiftest-parrot-visits-coast/
> I have no idea where the claims come from though.
> HANZAB describes the flight as "exceedingly fast". Indeed, this can be to
> their undoing at times....
> Mick

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list