birding-aus

Swift parrots

To: 'Greg and Val Clancy' <>, 'Bigpond' <>, 'Birding-Aus' <>, "'Tony Russell'" <>
Subject: Swift parrots
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 06:54:28 +0000
Well, the message said nothing about red under the wing. It simply said
distinctive. And not clear whether "the underwing pattern" was referring to
just the wings or including the combination of wings, belly, tail, etc. The
combination of which is of course distinctive. So there are two different
questions as to identification.

Yes those mentioned parrots do have red under the wing. Certainly the under
wing of Swift Parrot is distinctly different from Rainbow Lorikeets in
lacking the yellow bar and is distinctly different from Scaly-breasted
Lorikeets in lacking the pink bar. Swift Parrot under wing is different from
smaller lorikeets in not having a lot of green. But other features would
normally be needed.

It might be them.. However just saying "distinctive" is not of itself overly
convincing.

Philip

So do Purple-crowned Loris and Rainbows.

-----Original Message-----From: Birding-Aus
 On Behalf Of Greg and Val
Clancy  Sent: Saturday, 19 March 2016 9:40 AM   To: Bigpond; Birding-Aus

What about Scaly-breasted Lorikeets?  They have red under the wing too.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
| PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460
| 02 6649 3153 | 0429 601 960
 http://www.gregclancyecologistguide.com
 http://gregswildliferamblings.blogspot.com.au/

-----Original Message----- From: Bigpond        Sent: Saturday, March 19,
2016 7:29 AM
To: Birding-Aus Subject: [Birding-Aus] Swift parrots

I am pretty sure I saw 4 Swift Parrots fly over me last week in Tamworth.
Does anyone know of any sightings up this way at the moment?   It seems a
bit early for them.   I didn't see the facial markings but got a very good
view of the underwing pattern which is pretty distinctive.
Thanks, Annabel

Sent from my iPad

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list