birding-aus

Mixed feeding groups

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Mixed feeding groups
From: Sonja Ross <>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 05:48:11 +0000
Philip,

I was interested to find out possibilities, and what people thought.

It wasn't intended as a joke.  From the way Dave spoke, it seems that one
species does usually lead in the part of England where he lives.  The
leader of the group obviously accepted it as a serious question, and gave
us a species for the area we were in in Sri Lanka.  He obviously listened
for the calls of that species to lead the group to a particular section of
the forest.

Unfortunately there is no punch line!

Sonja

On 15 March 2016 at 15:53, Philip Veerman <> wrote:

> A curious question not because it might not happen but because there are so
> many possibilities. Where I am in Canberra this is well known as a big
> feature of the bird behaviour of the cool months. Typically thornbills,
> whistlers, fantails, silvereyes, I don't know how you would pick a leader
> species, as they sort of move as a mass. Is the leader consistent? Is it
> based on the species or on individuals. As in do all the members of one
> species move then all the members of another species. I doubt it.
>
> For a start I wonder whether this "Obviously it happens in Britain that one
> species must lead." is intended as a joke that this be obvious and what is
> the punch line.
>
> Philip

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list