birding-aus

WTNTs at Macquarie UNiversity - northern Sydney

To: birding aus <>
Subject: WTNTs at Macquarie UNiversity - northern Sydney
From: Tom Wilson <>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:51:16 +0000
Hi all

While I was doing my swim at Macquarie Uni outdoor pool this morning, I was
also doing a bit of casual birding (mostly whilst I was gasping for breath at
the end of each lap).  At about 7:50, I was watching the Welcome Swallows and
two Tree Martins feeding on something above the pool in a loose group.  All of
a sudden, a large group (70+) of White-throated Needletails came bursting over
some nearby trees and straight through the middle of the group of smaller
birds.  Seeing a group of swifts in Sydney in February isn’t that odd, but the
swifts then hung around for over well over 45 minutes (they were still in the
area when I left the pool at 8:35), actively feeding a quite low down
(treetop/roof height or just above).  In my experience that is quite a long
time.  After the initial burst through, there seemed to be no specific
interaction between the swifts and swallows.

It was a bright morning, but the swifts themselves looked very clean and
freshly marked, as if they were in new plumage.

While I was plugging up and down the pool, I was pondering:

-          Do WTNTs moult whilst in Australia, which would account for the very
clean looking plumage or was it just the light?

-          How good is their eyesight?  Did they see whatever the swallows were
feeding on a decided they’d like some of the action or they were following
something else (or there was just a lot of whatever it was about)?

Any thoughts or input from experienced swift observers?

(Mike, the sighting will go in my annual sightings sheet as well)

Cheers

Tom Wilson

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list