birding-aus

Zanda?

To: 'Mike Owen' <>, "" <>
Subject: Zanda?
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 00:01:22 +0000
Thanks Mike.  I did not have access to White et al. (2011), I was just relying
on the citations from del Hoyo & Collar (2014) and Winkler et al. (2015), based
on a quick literature search.

del Hoyo & Collar (2014) state in relation to genus Zanda (p. 700):
"Previously included in Calyptorhynchus, but DNA study indicates that
recognition is warranted (White et al. 2011)."

There is no further comment about the DNA study in Winkler et al. (2015) (p.
261), but they have used the Zanda upgrade to genus level by del Hoyo & Collar
(2014).

The species profile for Zanda funerea in the IUCN Red List for Threatened
species <www.iucnredlistorg/details/22684739/0> states "Zanda funerea (del Hoyo
and Collar 2014) was previously placed in the genus Calyptorhynchus as C.
funereus."

So, it looks like del Hoyo & Collar (2014) either misquoted White et al. (2011)
or, as you say, decided to upgrade Zanda to genus based on what they read, and
this has been picked up in subsequent publications.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW