birding-aus

BirdLife and Marketing

To: "" <>
Subject: BirdLife and Marketing
From: Paul Sullivan <>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 22:39:27 +0000
"Perhaps Mr. Sullivan would be willing to introduce us to the political
advocacy his organisation is working on, and why he thinks it is an effective
effort.  I'd like to hear that answer."

OK, I've taken the bait again ...

Firstly, BirdLife Australia does not do “political" advocacy. BirdLife's small
and effective professional advocacy team - all funded by donations, by the way
- work closely with our branches and groups as a voice for birds nationally and
locally. And we always use science to present our case, which in my experience
gives us a terrific, fair hearing from politicians.

Our team of staff and volunteers punch well above our weight. Our influence is
well documented on the website, magazine and newsletters. A few examples
include the establishment of a bird sanctuary in Adelaide, changes to
Victoria's terrible burn policy, a threatened species strategy and stopping
developments of many important wetlands and breeding sites all over Australia.
As a founding member of the Places You Love Alliance, BirdLife Australia is
working with other environmental NGOs to co-design next generation national
environmental laws with the community and business.

Our current campaign opposes further clearing of Carnaby’s habitat in the
Perth-Peel region - you can help by signing the petition:
http://www.birdlife.org.au/projects/southwest-black-cockatoo-recovery/how-can-you-help

BirdLife is also opposing proposed industrial scale harvesting of beach wrack
on SA's Limestone Coast, which will impact migratory and beach-nesting
shorebirds.

Thanks for all the wonderful positive feedback and, of course, we can always
learn and improve. For the record, the RSPB's CEO Mike Clarke and his team have
been very generous in sharing their time and expertise with our staff.

Finally, remember to order a BirdLife calendar for your family and friends
before Christmas!

Paul Sullivan
Chief Executive
BirdLife Australia
0477 007522

[BirdLife Australia 2016 Calendar]<https://store.birdlife.org.au>

Spend a month with 12 different spectacular Australian birds and
support BirdLife Australia’s vital conservation work in the process!
Our 2016 wall calendar is available now at
store.birdlife.org.au<https://store.birdlife.org.au>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>