birding-aus

White Ibis

To: "" <>
Subject: White Ibis
From: Geoff Ryan <>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:47:24 +0000
I am sorry that this contribution may be a little late for the White Ibis
discussion. I also apologise to Louis the Fly for the 'garbage tip to you'
line.

Geoff Ryan

*THE WHITE IBIS THREAT*

Non-human things that multiply to numbers seen and loud

Must be reduced, eliminated - they scar our vision proud

The vision of a landscape adorned with human themes

The products of our industry and noise of machines

If these creatures don't diminish our dominance or right

I b'lieve they should be tolerated and not destroyed on sight

But if by lust they multiply to numbers seen or heard

Why suffer from their presence be it mammalian or bird

Perhaps the most annoying, attracting human hate

Are creatures that seek sustenance from landscapes we create

What right have these creatures to despoil the ordered charm

Of our cities, urban landscapes, orchards, parks or farms?

One of two birds singing can be pleasant to the ear

But a flock of screeching birds or bats no one wants to hear

It's not just the cacophony, their faeces and their filth

But their spectrum of diseases that threaten human health

The ugly, bald white ibis has become a frightening pest

A bird of swamps and garbage tips, it now forages with zest

Around our parks and gardens where children play and eat

It probably carries disease and germs on its massive bill and feet.

The Government should do something to stop this ugly zoo

>From spreading pest and pestilence from garbage tip to you

Destroy their breeding colonies and drain those smelly swamps

And protect the parks and gardens where our pets and children romp.

Geoff Ryan 2016
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>