birding-aus

Who is this Australian ornithologist - Sir Hubert Wilkins

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Who is this Australian ornithologist - Sir Hubert Wilkins
From: George Appleby <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 04:56:43 +0000
Hello all.

There is a fair bit about the mainly unsung Hubert Wilkins around but it does
take some digging.  Dick Smith was a champion of him for a long time and funded
and promoted related expeditions through Australian Geographic, so there are
probably numerous articles about HW in the AG magazine.  Otherwise there are a
couple of books that are probably in libraries or available second hand.  The
one most likely to be of interest to Birding-ausers is Undiscovered Australia
which started with a search for the Paradise Parrot in drought struck and
Prickly Pear infested southern Queensland and ranging on collecting trips for
fauna in tropical northern Australia.  Owing to the support of the US, HW's
papers are held (last time I checked) at the University of Ohio; this material
would be a fascinating read if only a bit closer to Australia.

My interest?  Initially as HW was my great great uncle.

regards,

George.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list