birding-aus

(no subject)

To: "" <>
Subject: (no subject)
From: Dick Eussen <>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 02:06:27 +0000
G'day,

          Wayne Peacock and I saw one Blue-billed duck on a dam on Bellview
Station, west from Chillagoe in early August 2015. It was with some
wandering whistling ducks. They flew away but it stayed and actually swam
over to us, coming within 20m. In June/July, I came across several
buff-breasted button quail near the Holroyd River, north of Pormpuraaw while
riding my quad about hunting pigs. I also came across flocks of spotted
nightjars, some numbering some 50 odd birds in the same area. The Pormpuraaw
Land and Sea Rangers had commenced burning in the second week of June, but
stopped it when they discovered that finches and doves were still breeding.
I mentioned this to the traditional owner after coming across several burned
nests. He reckoned I was the first white man to note that as others were
pushing them to do carbon burning, but the T/Os refrained from doing so
because it was too early. I have seen this In Arnhem Land also where I was
made aware of the exact timing of traditional burning practices after
finding flocks of 500 strong or more Gouldian finches feeding in burned out
areas. I was doing a guiding stint for the Arnhemland Barramundi Nature
Lodge and had a number of twithers with me. We estimated we saw some 2,000
Gouldian finches south of Maningrida.

On another stint 2 years ago we saw 18 freckled ducks on a billabong near
the lodge, causing one birder to lament that she had not come this far north
to see them.

Cheers

Dick Eussen

<HR>