birding-aus

Orange bellied parrot/ melaleuca

To: Kirri Hardy <>
Subject: Orange bellied parrot/ melaleuca
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:26:56 +0000
Hi Kirri,
Par Avion are the only ones who fly to Melaleuca - and it's not cheap.  You can
get a "Buskwarlkers Flight" in and out, but the day or half day trip is not
much more expensive, and includes food and possibly a boat trip as well.  They
have a website where you can book (Google Par Avion), or you can ring them to
talk about special deals.

Late Feb should still be OK, though it could be getting a bit late in the
season.  Last I heard, only 13 had returned from the mainland.  I'm not sure
how many might be released, and hopefully there will be lots of babies!!

Bruny Island should net you all the endemics, but many are widespread, and it's
really only 40-spots that could be tough away from Bruny.

Cheers, and have a great time here in Tassie,
John Tongue
Devonport

On 25/10/2015, at 12:40 AM, Kirri Hardy <> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Just a question to those that have been to Melaleuca in Tasmania to see
> Orange-bellied parrot
>
> 1. When is the best time of year to see them? I was hoping I could get there
> mid Feb, perhaps end of Feb 2016...is this too late?
>
> 2. I imagine Par avion are the only ones that fly people to Melaleuca to see
> Orange bellied parrot. How far in advance do you need to book you're flight?
> What was you're process...
> 3. Any suggestions of where to find the Tassie endemics on Bruny island or
> elsewhere...??
>

> Sorry if too many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Thanks :D
> Kirri
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list