birding-aus

Woodswallows over northern Sydney 3 Oct

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Woodswallows over northern Sydney 3 Oct
From: Tom Wilson <>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 01:06:59 +0000
Hi all
I returned from a trip to the shops this morning (about 10:40) to hear the
calling of, and then see, a mixed flock of White-browed and Masked Woodswallows
circling over my house on Bobbin Head Rd in North Turramurra (Sydney northern
suburbs).  There were approx 70 birds, some circling quite low and low enough
to be easily able to pick out both species with naked eye. The flock mix looked
about 3:1 in favour of White-browed, but many higher up birds were harder to
pick. This was the first time ever of either species in this area for me (in
circa 17 years in the area) so a great spot on a Saturday morning.  They were
over the house when I got out of the car, so I have no idea which direction
they came from.  The flock drifted westwards (over Lovers Jump Creek, heading
towards Wahroonga) about 10:55 and was lost from sight and sound by 11.
Cheers
Tom Wilson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list