birding-aus

Birding Ethics

To: Maris Lauva <>, "" <>
Subject: Birding Ethics
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:31:11 +0000
Thank heavens Maris - a voice of reason - and I was about to leave the list in
despair!

Whatever one's particular source of enjoyment and fulfilment, amateur or
professional, it is surely all a matter of one's environmental awareness and
education and above all personal ethics.

Categorisation by group is not only inaccurate, tiresome and divisive but
pretty negative. Of course there are the irresponsible and selfish in all walks
of life but cant we rise above that and try to educate as we go?

Focus on positive activities to the benefit of all and especially the birds and
their environment would be my vote.

Graeme Stevens

> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:31:17 +0800
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Birding Ethics
>
> This is becoming like the eternal squabble Cyclists/Pedestrians/Motorists.
> Finger pointing, criticism and accusations. Let's forget all that. Most of us
> with an interest in birds, whatever the focus we have, want to do the right
> thing by our feathery friends. There's bad apples in every group so just
> forget them and let's support each other, not create a divide. Personally,
> I'm a photographer and I keep lists. I'm also deeply involved in a Volunteer
> run conservation project (Great Western Woodlands,
> http://birdlife.org.au/projects/great-western-woodlands )which could not
> exist without the birders and twitchers who are undertaking the literally
> hundredds of targeted surveys for us twice a year. We all think we're
> ethical, let's give credit to each other for being the same.
>
> ADVERTISING MATERIAL: Volunteers who can undertake Atlas Surveys are always
> very welcome to the project. Any of you Eastern Staters driving to WA from SA
> pass through the middle of the Great Western Woodlands (GWW). Turn your
> boring slog along the highway into citizen science by doing some Atlas
> surveys along the way. To find out more
>
> Maris Lauva
>
> Surveys coordinator
>
> > Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:25:26 +1000
> > Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Night Parrot captured and videoed
> >
> > 100% agree Kev.
> >

> > On 12/08/2015 11:19 AM, Kev Lobotomi wrote:
> > > Hi Denise
> > > It's unfortunate that you persist with this continued bashing of bird
> > > watchers (who are to the most part to a lesser & greater degree listers).
> > > We do a lot more good than bad. There are bad eggs that spoil it for
> > > everyone else. But the conservation push would be no where near as great
> > > if birders weren't involved. Many more birds & other animals would have
> > > become extinct. It's only through interest & education that we have
> > > things like national parks & reserves & the protection of birds. Bird
> > > watchers are amongst the most intelligent people I have met & they for
> > > the most part love the science of the whole thing also & are quite happy
> > > to partake in surveys & give any knowledge they have so that birds can be
> > > protected. There are photographers who do the wrong thing, & sometimes
> > > twitchers too, but these incidences are small compared to amount of good
> > > we do. I would contend with the advent of digital photography it has now
> > > reduced the need for collecting birds, because the quality of the
> > > photographs are so good that you can see just about everything you need
> > > to see externally on a bird. Digital photography is an incredible tool
> > > that we can use for good, because the more we know about the bird, the
> > > more we can do to help protect it.
> > >

> > <HR>
> > <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> > <BR>
> > <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> [...]

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>