birding-aus

Black-shouldered vs Masked lapwings

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-shouldered vs Masked lapwings
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 05:35:26 +0000
The New Guinea birds are Masked lapwings, Black-shouldered is a rare visitor
and I have only seen hybrids around Port Moresby, no pure breds
I have seen odd the hybrid around the Cairns area, but again no pure breds,
they are otherwise all Masked
Moving further afield, I only see Black-shouldered in New Caledonia and Fiji,
in both cases a recent colonist.
Seems like a pretty good split to me, along the lines of Carrion vs Hooded Crow
in the UK

I'll be using the Lynx HBW taxonomy in the forthcoming Lynx Edicions New Guinea
Field Guide, we just went over Black-shouldered in New Guinea and have left it
as a vagrant basically.
Phil Gregory

Website 1: Http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au