birding-aus

Black-shouldered Lapwing vs. Masked Lapwing

To: "" <>
Subject: Black-shouldered Lapwing vs. Masked Lapwing
From: Kurtis Lindsay <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:11:37 +0000
Hello all,

Dare I bring up the recent splitting of the former Spur-winged Plover
former Spur-winged Lapwing former Masked Lapwing from the current Masked
Lapwing to re-create the former* Vanellus novaehollandiae* now known as the
'Black-shouldered Lapwing'.

Confused?

Open up an old copy of Çayley's 'What Bird is That?' or even an early
Pizzey and Knight and you will see that *Vanellus miles* has been split for
longer than it has been lumped.

Up until this most recent taxonomic split, authors including Boles and
Christidis 1995 and 2008 had lumped both 'species' into Vanellus miles.
They were split only as subspecies with *V.m.novaehollandiae* (Masked
Lapwing aka Spur-winged Lapwing aka Black-shouldered Lapwing) and *V.m.miles
*(nominated race - Masked Lapwing).

See info on the recent 'Handbook of Birds of the World' (link below)

http://www.hbw.com/species/black-shouldered-lapwing-vanellus-novaehollandiae

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/factsheet/22725241

 WA Birding Blog (
http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/the-curious-case-of-red-bellied-spinipig.html)