birding-aus

BirdData: some problems?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: BirdData: some problems?
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 21:20:02 +1000
Well, Carl is on the east coast of Australia.  Baudin’s are endemic to SW WA.
There are 20 degrees of longitude between them.

The only way a Baudin’s would be on the east coast is if it were an escapee
from a collection.  Presumably the observation is a misidentified YTBC.

Regards, Laurie.

On 7 May 2015, at 5:58 pm, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> According to http://birdata.com.au/help_lists.vm, it's displaying data for
> the entire 1 degree x 1 degree grid cell that postcode falls within. How far
> is that where you live? Does that explain the anomalies?
>
> Peter Shute
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 7 May 2015, at 4:56 pm, Carl Clifford <> wrote:
>>
>> Out of idle curiosity, I typed my postcode (2263, on NSW Central Coast) into
>> BirData, just to see what it would throw up. I am going to have to start
>> looking a bit harder around my patch, as I have obviously been missing a few
>> cracking birds. Some I have missed are; Red Junglefowl, Cotton Pygmy Goose,
>> Baudin's Black Cockatoo, and Common Greenfinch, to name a few. Has anyone
>> else on the list looked up their postcode in BirdData to see if there are
>> any "ghost" species lurking?
>>
>> Carl Clifford

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list