birding-aus

The Birds at Inala Bruny Island are Angry!

Subject: The Birds at Inala Bruny Island are Angry!
From: Andrew Browne <>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:05:03 +1000
Tonia Cochrane, Inala, Bruny Island has just been advised by Forestry Tasmania
that the forest coupe immediately adjacent to her private wildlife reserve
(that she has preserved forever under a Conservation Covenent) is to be clear
felled in October this year. This is an alarming event. Just two weeks ago I
observed and photographed a pair of Grey Goshawks (endangered Tas white morph)
along her boundary adjoining this state owned coupe. The Goshawks are thought
to be nesting in the coupe. Other raptors I sighted that afternoon along the
coupe border were a juvenile Wedgetail, a juvenile Collared Sparrowhawk and a
juvenile Brown Falcon. Added to that it appears that the Swift Parrot (also
endangered)nests within that area also. I also estimate that the White Gum
Forty Spotted Pardalote colony (again an endangered species) on Inala of some
70 to 100 birds is also less than 100 metres from the coupe boundary.
You can help now by emailing Forestry Tasmania at:
 and send the message " I object to the
logging of Coupe SB016B"
Please act NOW to help save this unique Tasmanian bird locality.
Thanks and cheers

Andrew

Dr Andrew Browne
Veterinary Surgeon (Ret)