birding-aus

Quail and pigeons in zoos?

To: "'Paul McDonald'" <>
Subject: Quail and pigeons in zoos?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:52:44 +1100
Interesting question. In my visits to zoos I like to take notice of what is
in the enclosures, compared to what the labels on the cages say is in the
enclosures. It is quite regular for aviaries to have parrots and other
larger birds correctly marked (or not) and yet things like King Quails are
not mentioned (they are of course the most common). As for the zoos having
information at hand, whether incomplete labels equates to that they don't
hold the information in the records in their office, is an interesting
question. To lesser extent I notice this includes Stubble Quail, sometimes
(I've seen several) Painted Button-quail and Black-breasted Button-quail and
various rails and others. Possibly these may be only temporary housing of
birds to be moved elsewhere or rehabilitated.

The advantage of captives is you know where they are. As zoos are often
noisy I wonder if asking people via the avicultural society would be better.
Most people who have an aviary with finches would have King Quails (I
certainly did - in the 1970s) and many would have the others.

Surely wild Crested Pigeons are easy to find. Plenty in my garden. They are
not loud.

Philip