birding-aus

Quail and pigeons in zoos?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Quail and pigeons in zoos?
From: Paul McDonald <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 02:01:57 +0000
Dear all,

We’re looking at recording natural call amplitude variation for a range of
quail and pigeon species for a research project. We have all the required
licenses and ethics permits. We’re seeking to calibrate our automated recorders
so that we can then detect calling birds via the recordings during surveys, but
to do that we need to know how loud each species is to calculate detection
distances and probabilities. Given field populations are scant at present and
largely not calling, we thought it might be possible to record captive birds as
a work around prior to spring.

We’ve tried calling a few zoos to locate populations, but the species we’re
interested in aren’t exactly huge public draw cards, so often information on
whether or not they are being held is difficult to get. We are looking at
Crested Pigeons, either bronzewing species and any of the Australian quail
species. Does anyone know of zoos/parks that might have aviary populations of
any of these species that we can contact?

Thanks in advance,
Paul McDonald
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list