birding-aus

SW WA Big 3, Waychinicup

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: SW WA Big 3, Waychinicup
From: david Secomb <>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 12:15:16 +0800
For those who are unsure were Waychinicup is, it lies on the western side of Cheynes Beach some 70km by road east of Albany. This was a very reliable area to see Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Bristlebird and Western Whipbird until a wildfire in December 2004 destroyed much of the area and 2/3 of the Scrub-bird population. The times I have been in this area has been concentrated at Cheynes Beach. I visited Waychinicup the othe weekend (from 6^th Mar 2015 late afternoon to early morning of8^th March), curious if the area has returned to its former glory. Early March is not the best time of year as the Bristlebird and Whipbird are not calling the best. Frank O’Conner’s website has detailed information that predates the 2004 fire.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/ <http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Efoconnor/>

I will be referring to this site as a bases for this report. Distances is from the camping area. I concentrated on the area from the camping area to the creek crossing.

Noisy Scrub-bird.

They started calling very early, an hour before sunrise while still dark and finished early; 20min after sunrise.

Franks site 50m from the campsite is still occupied. A bird returned there shortly after the fire but is very overgrown and very difficult to find the bird.

No bird was heard at Franks 1km site.

The creek crossing was not burnt and still a reliable site to hear the Scrub-bird. It called most the morning of the 7^th in very thick vegetation on the northern edge of the creek.

A bird was seen twice along the road about 200m from the camp area. Walking up the hill, there is stand of stunted gums (Marri I think) on the up hill side with extensive stand on the down hill side. You missed it if you pass the 30km/h sign. About sunset on the 6^th , it was seen calling mid way up 2m shrubs (Hakeas) on the northern side of the small stand of stunted gums, 20m from the road. On the morning of the 7^th it was calling in the small patch of gums. There was a quick chase with a 2^nd bird. Without seeing it, it crossed the road but saw the second male trying to cross the road, saw me and had second thoughts. Then both started to call. I could see the 1^st male moving in the tree tops calling. These are only 5-6m high. It was call again on the morning of the 8^th . Fingers cross this bird will remain here, as it was calling virtually next to the road and at times may cross the road.

Others were heard but in difficult area to get into.

Western Bristlebird.

Before the fire birds could be seen close to the road, crossing the graded runoffs at sites 700m from camp ( see Franks website) and 1.3km (site I visited). They disappeared after the fire.

On this visit they were heard occasionally and brief. The morning of the 8^th was the best possibly because it drizzled most of the morning. At 1km were bend going around the head of a small gully, a small ridge runs south. A pair was heard 20m south of the road. Earlier a bird was heard 100m or so along the ridge and gave couple of calls on the 6^th . Not sure if they were to same birds.

At 1.3km, birds were calling 20m and 100m west of the road.During the visit, one could assume 3 territories possible a 4^th but ideally needs to be closer to the road to see them. Spring time would be better time to work out the territories.

Western Whipbird.

Birds were heard several times on the other side of the inlet which is a regular spot but very difficult to access.

One was heard 100- 150m west of the camp in an area heard on other visits and one heard in the distance at the 1km site 200m west of the road in the gully system. One could assume 3 territories, all a distance from the road.

I did hear a call twice, what I describe as a growl. This was at the 200m Scrub-bird site and 800m from camp area, 30m south of the road. So there are others floating around.

Other WA endemics

Red-winged Fairy Wren seen several times at the creek crossing particular the tall tree area going up the hill on the western side of the crossing. White-breasted Robin in the camp area and flats at the creek crossing. Red-ear Firetail several times 300m from camp area to the die back control track. This stretch of heath was also a good area for Southern Emu-wren and Western Spinebill which was also at the creek crossing. Western Wattlebird heard often but away the road in the gully at the 1km site. This was site was also seen Swan River Honeyeater plus the camp area and creek crossing.

Carnaby Black was in large flock (50-70) feeding in the heath and some roosting in the tall trees at the creek crossing. Red-capped Parrot was heard several times. Western Rosella seen couple of times.

Others

Flushed 3 Brown Quail from the road edge on the 8^th .

Cheers
David

-----
No virus found in this message.