birding-aus

Black Grasswrens

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Black Grasswrens
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 15:46:36 +1000
Hello Peter,

That depends on how much you fill the frame with the image of the bird. I
prefer where possible for the bird to occupy only about half the frame so that
I can construct a picture. If you fill the frame you finish up with a photo of
just a bird which severely limits how it can be used but it satisfies the pixel
peepers - with small birds you can see every barbule. Such photos won't stand
much enlargement. If you do, you finish up with a small bird a foot or more
high, which looks grotesque.

With the latest SLR cameras such as a Nikon D7200 or D810, the sensors are so
good that if you are any good at holding your camera still , remarkably small
crops are capable of making good images for most purposes.

To get back to your question with the setup I suggested, a Black Grasswren
would about half-fill the frame at around 15 metres but a perfectly usable
image could be obtained from 20 0r at a pinch, 30 metres away, PROVIDED YOU
HOLD THE CAMERA STILL, not easy to do at 1000 mm focal length.

Lately I've been trying the latest Nikon 2x converter on the big 500 mm (=1500
mm !!) mounted on my Miller tripod with some quite acceptable results. It
allowed me to keep a respectable distance from the now famous White-rumped
Sandpiper. See my website.

Cheers

Graeme

On 14/03/2015, at 12:44 PM, Peter Shute wrote:

> Just out of interest, what sort of distance would you consider that equipment
> to be usable at, Graeme?
>
> Peter Shute
>
>> On 14 Mar 2015, at 11:52 am, Graeme Chapman
>> <> wrote:
>>
>> Your task would be easier if you can use a 500 mm f/4 lens with a 1.4 x
>> converter on a DX size camera. That will give you an effective focal length
>> of over 1000 mm (a tripod essential) so you can keep your distance.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Graeme Chapman

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list