birding-aus

Red eared Firetail information please

To: "" <>
Subject: Red eared Firetail information please
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 15:18:18 +0800
Hello All,
Cherilyn Corker and myself were down at Cheynes Beach from the 20 to 24th Feb
and we were lucky to see Red-eared Firetail at very close range. Cherilyn has
posted photos on the West Aust Facebook page and also Bird   Photography   Aust
Facebook page.
In the field we observed what we thought were males with brillent scarlet ear
coverts and identical birds but without any colour ed ear coverts, that we
assumed to be female. Later when we checked the Pizzy and Knight field guide we
discovered that adult males are supposed to have deep scarlet ear coverts and
adult females orange scarlet with juveniles with black bills and no colour on
ear coverts. Our experience in the field was that juveniles were quite plain
and mostly greenish. Is the bird without coloured ear coverts but identical in
every other way a stage just before full adulthood? Or is Pizzy a bit
inaccurate?
Thanks,
Patrick Scully

Sent from my iPhone