birding-aus

John Young's Melbourne Night Parrot talk last night

To: 'James Mustafa' <>
Subject: John Young's Melbourne Night Parrot talk last night
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:04:25 +1100
Hi James. That's the best I could do given John's description. I'm sure John
will think it sounds wrong too because the notes probably don't really sound
exactly like Bell Miner notes, and he probably only guessed the spacing and the
drop in frequency. The idea of the mockup was just to give people something
more concrete to remember in the future. Hopefully some people out there will
remember having heard it in the past!

I know birds vary their frequency - I've spent a lot of time looking at
spectrograms, and I've seen it.

I don't know if trying to force bird calls into music terminology is useful to
anyone who doesn't know music and have a good ear for it. I don't, and when I
hear a bird I can't translate frequencies into those letters you use. You're
probably at an advantage over the rest of use if you can. For me they're just
low, medium, high, descending, ascending, etc, and if I want to try to record a
call on paper then I sketch a spectrogram.

I've got no idea what width and thickness of notes means. Is that about length
and harmonics?

To me, "dropping half an octave" is actually a very precise description - it
means to multiply the frequency by 0.75. Your pitch changing experiments are
interesting, and it's reassuring that you've proven birds are very sensitive to
it. I'd be interested to hear more about that.

Peter Shute

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>