birding-aus

John Young's Melbourne Night Parrot talk last night

To: Peter Shute <>,
Subject: John Young's Melbourne Night Parrot talk last night
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:13:40 +1100
I am so grateful to Chris Watson and Birdlife Australia for organizing John Young's talk last night. I am filled with admiration of John's persistence, determination and skill in his search - he really deserves his success.

Brian and I hope that John Young will NOT release a spectrogram of the Night Parrot's call. It would be possible for an electronic expert to re-engineer a replica of the bird's call from that information, and then try to call up the bird with it. Which for such a very shy bird might be fatal.

In the short video segment, the bird's movement was definitely unorthodox - John assured us it was not injured but the action seemed one-sided - a scurrying, bustling hop rather like a crouching version of the Common Mynah's one-sided fast movement of the ground. At all times the bird kept very low, not lifting its head as several artists have tried depicted it.

Incidentally, I was also thrilled with John's wonderful photos of the Flock Pigeons, both individually and as a mighty flock throwing themselves into water for a hasty drink on the wing. And all his other pictures of birds, beasts and amazing landscapes.

   The Feral Cat menace has never been made clearer or more urgent.

Anthea Fleming