birding-aus

Rock Parrots at Lancelin WA

To: Patrick Scully <>, "" <>
Subject: Rock Parrots at Lancelin WA
From: "Blythman, Mark" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:06:39 +0800
Hi Patrick,
Havn't been to Lancelin recently but they are usually seen on lawns near the
coast, even been recorded on the lawns at the pub. We are colour banding the
Rottnest population of rock parrots so if you don't get them at Lancelin try
near the tennis courts on Rottnest.
http://www.rottnestisland.com/docs/mtr--marine-and-terrestrial/rock-parrot-research-flyer---mark-blythman-boyd-wykes.pdf?sfvrsn=0
You will see them all day on Rotto but they tend to be more active/noticeable
when they are flying to and from roosts and  fresh water points in the mornings
and afternoons. I would assume the Lancelin birds are roosting on one of the
offshore islands so if you set yourself at sunrise or sunset in front of the
island you will see and hear them coming and going.

The WA little corellas-
The population of little corellas in the Perth metro area down to Augusta is
introduced to the area and made up of a mix of different races and I would say
many are interbred. Native littles C.s. westralensis occur north of Perth and
in the wheatbelt but are moving southwards, C.s. sanguinea are in the
Kimberly's. We have both these races as well as C.s.gymnopis now in the south
west.  I have attached an image I took of a couple of skins in the Western
Australian Museum that may help with your identification.

I have also attached a flyer explaining the wing tagging project that I have
been running for over two years here. Please let me know if you come across
any. There is at least one that has made it to Busselton but I didn't get the
actual code on the tag.

Mark

Mark Blythman
Animal Science Program | Science and Conservation Division | Department of
Parks and Wildlife
ph (08) 9405 5110