birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 26 Jan 2015 07:42:00 +1000
   Birdline Tasmania

   Published sightings for the week ending 25 Jan 2015.

   Fri 23 Jan Royal Spoonbill Queechy Lake
   Approximately four Royal Spoonbills nesting in trees at Queechy Lake.
   Helen Cunningham
   Black-winged Stilt Lake Dulverton Conservation Area (Oatlands)
   Two adults with two juveniles on the eastern most lake just east of the
   walkway between the lakes.
   Els Wakefield and Karen Dick
   Thu 22 Jan Swift Parrot Mulgrave St, South Launceston
   Approx. 50 Swift Parrots feeding in a flowering eucalypt. Most appeared
   to be immature birds.
   Des Wingfield
   Wed 21 Jan Pacific Swift (5) Margate, Tabors Road
   At about 8.30pm at the start of our evening walk, we were alerted to 5
   birds calling overhead. Without binoculars we were uncertain but
   suspected Pacific Swift. This was confirmed after returning home and
   listening to their call on an app.
   Rob and Vicki Hamilton
   Mon 19 Jan Freckled Duck (40) Queechy Lake
   40 Freckled Ducks - northern end - flushed from willows. Also Dusky
   Moorhen, Australasian Shovellers, Hardheads etc. [Moderator's note:
   this is the largest number of Freckled Ducks seen at one site since the
   species began to appear in Tasmania nearly two years ago and suggests
   that the influx may still be occurring. PB]
   Rodger Willows and Alison Roach
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>