birding-aus

Locations wanted for Regent Honeyeater in summer

To: eagleowl22 <>, "" <>
Subject: Locations wanted for Regent Honeyeater in summer
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 04:30:29 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Pieter,
You are not alone in wanting locations for Regent Honeyeaters in summer ;-)
BirdLife Australia administers the recovery effort for Regent Honeyeaters and
the Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator (Dean Ingwersen) works out of the
head office in Melbourne. I work for BirdLife on the "Regent HE project", which
in reality refers to a series of projects aimed at recovering the Regent HE,
which is, as you would likely know, a Critically Endangered species.
One of the things we do is maintain a national database of sightings. Summer is
always a very lean time for sightings and this is because we still don't have a
good hold on what the birds actually do post-breeding. Now that there are only
a few hundred birds thought to remain, summer sightings are particularly lean
(and in 2014, breeding records were extremely so!).
The only recent records we've been made aware of have been a juvenile bird on
private property at Jackadgery (west of Grafton) and a bird in coastal banksia
/ smooth-barked apple forest (which is unusual) near Mungo Brush (north of
Hawks Nest, NSW mid north coast), both in first week of Jan.
There aren't many other leads I can give you unfortunately. There weren't birds
breeding in the Capertee Valley this year and there was only just the one
sighting in the whole valley during Nov/Dec. The only nest we were aware of in
the Hunter Valley appeared to fail. There were some signs of breeding in
Chiltern (Vic) but too were thwarted by unknown causes. Evidence of a
successful breeding pair was found in nearby Corowa in late November.
There was a successful nest at the Nangahrah Bird Route site in October (was
posted to Birdline a couple of times) but these birds haven't been seen since
November despite targeted surveys happening there in December.
So, if you happen upon some Regent Honeyeater sightings in the summer months
we'd be pleased to hear it! All Regent Honeyeater sightings should be reported
to BirdLife on 1800 621 056 or to  or

Sorry we can't be of any more assistance and sorry also for hijacking your
request email, but with so few sightings of Regent Honeyeaters in 2014 we need
all the information we can get. Good luck with your searches.
Mick