birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 22 Dec 2014 07:05:14 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 21 Dec 2014.

   Sun 21 Dec Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher Garden, West End,
   Townsville
   Bird sitting watching me have breakfast on the deck at 6am. Good views
   but gone by the time I got my camera. Only my second sighting in my
   garden (or in Townsville) in 27 odd years, the other sighting was about
   the same date as this one.
   Ed Pierce
   Sat 20 Dec White-browed Crake Bamaga: Lake Wicheura en route to East
   Coast 10 46S 142 33E 1' Cell
   One flushed from low reeds, calling when flew, to dense reed beds then
   walking along edge in scope. First sighting for the general area on
   eBird although I had heard one 6 months ago in a different location.
   Klaus Uhlenhut has recorded 3 specimens over 30 years.
   Rob Reed
   Fri 19 Dec Latham's Snipe and Large-tailed Nightjar Tyto Wetlands,
   Ingham
   Found a lone Latham's Snipe foraging at the waters edge of the first
   small dam. Then later in the evening came across a mother Large-tailed
   Nightjar and her fledgling chick. I also found another female sitting
   on two eggs. Also found was a 2-3 meter long Scrub Python.
   Andrew O'Brien
   Thu 18 Dec Pied Heron Cairns Botanical Gardens and Centenary Lakes
   One Pied Heron seen on the freshwater lake at Centenary Lakes, Cairns.
   The bird was quite tame. Fourteen Rajah Shelduck also present.
   Terry Reis
   Sun 14 Dec Rufous Owl Riverside Gardens, Douglas, Townsville
   4 Rufous Owl, mum, dad and 2 well-developed youngsters high in trees,
   riparian to Ross River.
   Ed Pierce
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list