birding-aus

Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat

To: Colin Trainor <>
Subject: Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:17:19 +0930
Colin,

I have some expertise with small/medium Top End mammals, including Black-footed
Tree-rat, having worked for some decades as a biological consultant up here.

See my writeup in Fauna of Kakadu and the Top End (1993).

Regards

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841

PhD candidate, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Founding Member: Australian Federation of Graduate Women Northern Territory
043 8650 835

On 12 Dec 2014, at 8:58 am, colin trainor <> wrote:

> According to the "Action Plan for Australian Mammals" there have been no
> confirmed records of Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat in the Greater Darwin area since
> 1993, and it is now thought to have been extirpated in Kakadu Nat Park, with
> no captures since 2008 despite ongoing monitoring.
>
> Your observation would more likely to have been the still regionally extant
> Black-footed Tree Rat ....
>

> Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat
>

> from
> [Denise Goodfellow]
> [Permanent Link][Original]

> birding-aus <>

> Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat

> Denise Goodfellow <>

> Fri, 12 Dec 2014 02:21:41 +0930
>

> Late one night a couple of weeks ago I saw a Brush-tailed Rabbit-rat on a
> Darwin River road.  There is one other record of what sounds like this animal
> from this area, from a local man.
>
> If any Birding Aussers are in the vicinity of Darwin River could you please
> let
> me know of any sightings?
>
> Thanks
> Denise