birding-aus

Long-billed Dowitcher on Lake Tutchewop

To: "Mike Carter" <>
Subject: Long-billed Dowitcher on Lake Tutchewop
From: Joseph Morlan <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:49:45 -0800
Both species can give a single call note, although it's more typical of
Long-billed.

Short-billed has a lower-pitched more mellow call, usually three rapid
notes "toodle-doo" especially in flight.  However they may also give a
single mellow "tu" or "tup" note depending on context, especially while
feeding.

Long-billed has a higher, squeakier call, "keeek" recalling Sanderling.  It
may also call in series as "keeek keeek keeek" but with a much longer space
between the individual notes cf. Short-billed.   Long-billed is much more
vocal, frequently keeping up a lot of chatter while foraging.  Short-billed
is often silent except when disturbed or when flying with a flock.

In California, Long-billed prefers fresh water, including inland lakes and
flooded fields, but will also use estuaries.  Short-billed prefers tidal
mudflats.  However, there are three different subspecies of Short-billed
Dowitcher one of which migrates regularly inland in North America.

Short-billed is a much longer distance migrant, regularly reaching southern
South America.  Long-billed is extremely rare anywhere south of the
equator.  I am aware of only one specimen from Argentina.

I have not yet seen an unambiguous photo of the bird.  I have seen this
from the a camera back posted on eremaea...

http://www.eremaea.com/sightingphotos/22/220773.jpg

Interesting bird.  Where are the Facebook photos?

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

<HR>