birding-aus

Red collared Dove on Christmas Is

To: <>
Subject: Red collared Dove on Christmas Is
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 23:35:05 +1100
I recall being confused by this bird's name a couple years ago when it was
reported somewhere and I asked about it, as it seemed unlikely (I am not
commenting on the bird at the place, that doesn't interest me). My
understanding is that it is actually a Red Collared Dove (maybe Red
Collared-Dove), rather than a Red-collared Dove. I notice that Richard is
having a bit each way. Though seems to be given better names (see below). I
reckon Red Turtle-Dove is preferable. The difference being that it is one of
the collared dove group, that is otherwise red and (like the others) has a
black collar.

The name would reasonably be Red-collared Dove if actually was a dove with a
red collar, that is the way bird names often go, so it is easy to make the
mistake. But it isn't. There are not many examples like this. One is Great
Crested Grebe (not Great-crested Grebe!), that implies it is a big grebe
with a crest, rather than the crest of this grebe is great.

See this listing from http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/22690493/0

Scientific Name:        Streptopelia tranquebarica
Species Authority:      (Hermann, 1804)
Common Name(s): English -       Red Turtle-dove, Red Collared Dove, Red
Collared-Dove, Red Turtle Dove

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_turtle_dove

Philip