birding-aus

"Bird Hides" in south-east Queensland

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: "Bird Hides" in south-east Queensland
From: Trevor Ford <>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 16:27:39 +1000
G'day,

A photographer-friend of mine and his wife will be visiting me in SEQ this coming January and they have both fairly recently developed a keen interest in photographing birds. I would hope to spend as much time with them as possible but I may have to leave them to their own devices for a few days. I can recommend sites, etc., but what I would really like to do is to be able to recommend hides (or "bird hides" as we strangely call them) so that they can relax in an environment where they can view birds closely and take photographs of interesting behaviour as well as chalking up a range of species.

And I've got a bit out of touch with the quality of the hides available, say between the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast and the Great Dividing Range. I know well the Buckley's Hole and Kakadu Beach facilities on Bribie Island but how about all of the others? For instance, what's now happening to the hide at the Port of Brisbane, now that the information centre / restaurant where you used to collect the key has been flattened?

I'd be really grateful if folk could send me, offline, details of any hides that they're familiar with. Interesting aspects would be:- Directions to the site and hide, quality of birds present, ease of viewing and photographing these birds, comfort (seating, etc.) within these hides, ease of access (whether wheelchair access available and whether stairs are involved), whether seasonally or tide dependent for interesting species to appear, etc., etc. It would also be good to know of any hides, still described as worth visiting in local publications, that are either dismantled or find themselves standing in the middle of a dry field, far away from the wetlands once overlooked. "There is a bird hide" doesn't really set expectations properly!

In the first instance I would just compile a document with bullet points outlining any information I receive, or already know. I'd either send this list to contributors or make it available to anyone who'd like to see it, and then tidy everything up a bit after this first pass. Further down the track I might even construct a more complete and polished version as a pdf with a photo or two of hides and areas and make that available; it depends on the response but I do think that it would be a useful document to have in the birding domain.

Any thoughts / feedback?

Cheers - Trevor Ford.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list