birding-aus

nest story

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: nest story
From: "Shirley Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:47:32 +1100
Dear all

My friend Susan Cantrell and her husband Ray have settled in Armidale. Here is her story (without the attached pictures) about a nest. If anyone wants to see the photos, please ask and I'll forward the complete email to you.

Shirley Cook
_______
Hi Shirley. Thought you might like to see these photos. Last year when
we first moved in here I found quite a few nests in the garden. One was a
Grey Fantail's attached to a roll of wire. I found it hanging from the
rafters in a garden shed. I actually took it down and  took it all the way
up to Tamborine Mt to show my old bird group. It's a much-travelled nest! I
hung it back up when I returned home and lo and behold a pair of Willy Wags
has taken it over this year and laid three eggs in it! Talk about recycling!
They don't sit on it in the heat of the day - I presume that's because it's
too hot under the corrugated iron roof of the shed. I hope the eggs don't
cook!
  The difference between the two species' nests is - the GF's is woven
grass and cobwebs and has a tail like a wine glass. The WW's is made of a
similar material but is cupped - no tail about the same size though.
Nevertheless they don't seem to mind the architecture, so long as it works!
In the second photo that's him telling me off. The only access they have to
the nest is through the door as the shed is totally wired in elsewhere. The
tail of the original nest  has been somewhat shortened and the WW's seems to
built almost on top of it - to one side.
Cheers
Susan

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list