birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 20 Oct 2014 08:06:39 +1000
   Birdline Australian Capital Territory

   Published sightings for the week ending 19 Oct 2014.

   Thu 16 Oct Swamp Harrier Kellys Swamp
   Flew across Dairy Rd (flight style a harrier giveaway and clear white
   rump for Swamp). Scared the daylights out of every duckon the Swamp.
   Martin Butterfield
   Little Bittern Cook
   At approx 12.30 today a Little Bittern was flushed from beside our
   garden pond. At a guess it was about 25 cms in length with a brownish
   rather than black crown. Buff below with a brown streak down the throat
   and upper breast. The lores were yellow and the bird was not as dark as
   male Little Bitterns we have seen. We think it was likely an adult
   female. It flew up into our apple tree and then took refuge (with bill
   pointed skywards) in a dense shrub. Noisy Miners arrived in some
   numbers to harass it but soon lost interest. We have several more
   photos.
   Kim and Geoff Larmour
   Wed 15 Oct White-winged Black Tern Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
   An adult White-winged Black Tern in non-breeding plumage was present
   with 3 Whiskered Terns in breeding plumage mostly over pond 3a at the
   Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant from 13:00 to at least 16:00. The birds
   were readily viewed from Dairy Flat Road. [Moderator's comment: this is
   the first ever record of the species for the ACT]
   PJ Milburn
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>