birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 15 Sep 2014 08:30:23 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 14 Sep 2014.

   Fri 12 Sep Peaceful Dove Loyalty Beach
   Immature peaceful Dove from Loyalty Beach are still present. Another
   image.
   Greg McKay
   Channel-billed Cuckoo Gregory River camp area Gregory Downs
   Single bird observed early this morning feeding on large grasshopper
   high up in the trees lining the river.
   Greg and Janice McKay
   Thu 11 Sep Common Starling Tinaburra Boat Ramp, Lake Tinaroo
   One bird seen, introduced species which is not normally found this far
   north although there has been odd sightings on the Atherton Tableland
   and Cairns. Further north on the west coast of Cape York Peninsula one
   was seen at Pompurraw whist conducting BirdLife Australia surveys in
   about 2001.
   Chris Doughty via Keith Fisher
   Mon 8 Sep Wilson's Storm Petrel Michaelmas and Upolu Cays National Park
   offshore pelagic
   Uncommon in area. One bird seen whilst traveling from Michaelmas Cay to
   Hastings Reef.
   Chris Doughty via Keith Fisher
   Red-footed Booby Great Barrier Reef--Michaelmas Cay
   4 birds present. Uncommon in area. Four birds were also reported on
   29th August from Agincourt Reef out from Port Douglas, maybe same
   birds?
   Chris Doughty via Keith Fisher
   Thu 4 Sep Peaceful Dove Loyalty Beach Caravan Park Bamaga
   We observed this pair of doves at our campsite over the3 days we were
   there. The size of Peaceful Dove we didn't pay much attention to them
   until one morning one landed very close by in a tree next to me and I
   was able to observe its unique eye markings. Its partner had the same.
   (Moderator Note:- Your photo shows an immature Peaceful Dove of the
   sub-species peninsulae. It is an interesting photo as The Handbook of
   Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic birds {HANZAB} says " Bare parts
   of juvenile peninsulae not known", this was published in 1996).
   Greg and Janice McKay
   Fri 29 Aug Red-footed Booby, Roseate Tern Agincourt Reef, Great Barrier
   Reef
   Apologies for late post. At least four Red-footed Booby with around 35
   Brown Booby on helicopter platform as we arrived at the site, as well
   as several Black-naped Tern, 40-odd Sooty Tern and around 150 Common
   Noddy. All birds dispersed as helicopter arrived, and I observed
   Roseate Tern fly past thereafter. Noted largely red bills, very long
   white tail streamers and dark upperside to outer primaries with no dark
   trailing edge on underwing.
   Steve Davidson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list