birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 8 Sep 2014 07:44:59 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 7 Sep 2014.

   Thu 4 Sep Channel-billed Cuckoo Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
   1st return for the season.
   Keith Fisher
   Common Koel Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
   1st return for the season.
   Keith Fisher
   Common Koel Coquette Point
   Saw one male Common Koel feeding in a strangler fig. First sighting for
   the season no sign of female and have not heard any calls.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Mon 1 Sep Cicadabird Coquette Point, Innisfail
   Solitary male Cicadabird bird seen feeding in littoral forest behind
   the dunes. Following cyclones Larry and Yasi the Cicadabird population
   of the the lowland coastal Wet Tropics Rainforest virtually
   disappeared. Earlier this year I photographed a female and now to see a
   male gives me some hope that this population is recovering.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Common Sandpiper Coquette Point, Innisfail
   Six Common Sandpiper were feeding over a wide area on the beach. This
   is the first sighting of these birds for this season.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Sun 31 Aug Southern Cassowary Coquette Point
   Matriarch Southern Cassowary called Jessie, first confirmed sighting
   for over a month.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Pied Oystercatcher Coquette Point
   Observed and photographed two birds mating twice and at different areas
   on same morning.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Fri 29 Aug Red-footed Booby, Roseate Tern Agincourt Reef, Great Barrier
   Reef
   Apologies for late post. At least four Red-footed Booby with around 35
   Brown Booby on helicopter platform as we arrived at the site, as well
   as several Black-naped Tern, 40-odd Sooty Tern and around 150 Common
   Noddy. All birds dispersed as helicopter arrived, and I observed
   Roseate Tern fly past thereafter. Noted largely red bills, very long
   white tail streamers and dark upperside to outer primaries with no dark
   trailing edge on underwing.
   Steve Davidson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list