birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 1 Sep 2014 07:12:37 +1000
   Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 31 Aug 2014.

   Sat 30 Aug Long Billed Corella Numinbah Valley Qld
   Barry and Jennifer Layton
   Ground Cuckooshrike Lake Clarendon
   2 feeding in paddock beside causeway, approx. 100m along from gate.
   Near gnarled old gum tree. 1100 hours.
   Jo & Matt Culican
   Fri 29 Aug Swift Parrot Gould Adams Park, Kingston
   Two birds still present. Seen well after searching for about 50 minutes
   through all the eucalpyts and lorikeets, feeding in a tall Gum-topped
   Box near the creek, to the west of the car park. Only called once.
   Sandra Galliene
   Shining flycatcher Coochin creek camp ground
   Female seen foraging in mangroves on far bank from the campground
   James Fong
   Thu 28 Aug Black breasted button quail (5) Noisy Pitta (2) Inskip Point
   Recreation Area
   Great conditions for birding this morning following the thunderstorms
   the previous afternoon. Good variety of species with the highlight
   being able to watch a quail scratch out a platelet before it became
   aware we were watching. The hotspot for the quail and pittas was toward
   the end of the walking trail on the right hand side
   Hedley and Irena Earl
   Eastern Reef Egret Humpybong Creek mouth / rock groyne
   Following up on yesterday's report, we found two birds on the rock
   groyne at the beach 'mouth' of the creek about 8:00am. Their colouring
   initially made them hard to find among the rocks but, when found, close
   observation was allowed - they were not shy at all. After 20 mins. of
   photos, etc, one flew up over the road and seemed to be heading for the
   spillway area where sighted yesterday.
   Brian & Meg Johnson
   Wed 27 Aug Eastern Reef Egret Grey morph Humpybong Creek Redcliffe
   Sighted at the spillway just downstream from the fountain. Constantly
   chasing off a Little Egret and ignored a Great Egret close by. I had a
   report of two but could only sight one.
   Vince Bugeja
   Tue 26 Aug Wedge-tailed Eagle Boonah Qld
   Two adults on nest with chick
   Wendy Dunn Lindsey Reeves
   Letter-winged Kite Brisbane, Airport, International Departures
   Report from July 16, 2014 received 26/8/14 - Having spent the night at
   Ibis, I arrived at the airport before sunrise, observing birds for an
   hour in front of International Departures. A kite passed by, on its way
   inland, first circling by the buildings and then being chased by a
   crow. Instead of the expected Black-shouldered Kite, it was a splendid
   adult Letter-winged Kite, the last raptor species I still missed in
   Australia. The main identification feature were the wide black bars
   across the underside of its inner wings (axillaries to the base of
   primaries), otherwise pure white, just a hint of dark in the very tips
   of primaries. After this stroke of luck, being rerouted from Honiara to
   Brisbane to Nadi instead of direct flight to Nadi did not feel so bad,
   after all! Could have taken a photo or two, but was too focused on
   admiring the rare sight to do that. (Moderator's Note: This report is
   from July 16 and is unconfirmed - please do be on the lookout for this
   species however note that Kedron Brook Wetlands hosts a number of
   Black-shouldered Kites.)
   Petri Hottola
   Mon 25 Aug Pheasant Coucal (2) East Mary River Rd, Conondale
   Amazing views of both coucals roadside around 4pm this afternoon. We
   have never seen this bird close up before and certainly never seen the
   brilliant feather display
   Hedley & Irena Earl
   Sun 24 Aug Masked Owl, Southern Boobook Booloumba creek Rd
   9pm last night we were pleased to finally sight a masked owl. At a
   property suggested to us we arrived at the location, played one taped
   call and the owl came in within 20 seconds. A boobook called once from
   the same location but otherwise no other owls were heard or sighted
   Hedley and Irena Earl
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>