birding-aus

Bulbuls in Melbourne

Subject: Bulbuls in Melbourne
From: scott Baker <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:28:24 +1000
Following recent reports of Red-whiskered Bulbuls in Bundoora and discussion of
their likely status within the Melbourne region I spoke to local
aviculturalists and was told birds are still kept in aviaries but are less
commonly encountered these days. A number of breeders still active in the
south-eastern suburbs and a breeder in the Greensborough area was also
mentioned (only a few km's from Bundoora site) No registration required for
this species so difficult  to determine actual number of birds but apparently
prices have dropped in recent years and now quite affordable. Some suggested
were a species more popular within asian community.
Was also noted reports of escaped birds increase after significant storm events
(such as occurred in Melbourne 2 weeks ago) when aviaries are damaged by wind
and falling branches.
I guess is a vague possibility that a small number of wild birds have survived
eradication program of the 80's and managed largely elude detection whilst
maintaining a viable population. Given their habitat preference of suburban
parks and gardens and the fact this not cryptic species I would have thought it
more likely these are escaped birds.