birding-aus

Overwintering

Subject: Overwintering
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 12:23:41 +0800

Again, another old thread from a month ago.

I quickly read through all the articles in this thread. Most seemed to relate to waders overwintering in the south of Australia.

Of course, many of the waders overwinter in places such as Broome and 80 Mile Beach. The following seem to be total migrants, and it is rare for any overwintering records.

Little Curlew
Long-toed Stint
Oriental Plover
Oriental Pratincole (yes - there have been a few overwintering records in Australia, but only individuals, not the 2.8 million that come to Australia)
snipe sp. (Swinhoe's, Pin-tailed, Latham's)
Ruff (If it was more common then they may overwinter, as I think some overwinter in Africa)
Little Ringed Plover
Red-necked Phalarope? (These are common off the NW coast in summer, but I don't know of any winter records)

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper are very scarce during winter, and yet there are some records of reasonable numbers at places such as Lake McLarty as mentioned by John Graff.

You can definitely find Common Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper and Marsh Sandpiper in small numbers in northern Australia during winter but they can certainly be scarce at times. Ruddy Turnstone are common but in small numbers, but these are coastal and so much easier to look for.

You can find uncommon (for Australia) waders such as Broad-billed Sandpiper, Asian Dowitcher, Common Redshank in any month at Broome.