birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: "" <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 08:29:41 +1000
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 4 Aug 2014 06:52:25 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Aug 2014.
 Sun 3 Aug Pink Robin Wianamatta Regional Park
Adult female caught in mist net in banding project. Banded and released.
This is the second Pink Robin that our group has caught. An adult female
was captured and banded at Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside, western Sydney
14th July 2013. Are Pink Robins flying under the radar in the Sydney
region?
Darryl McKay, Jeff Hardy, John Farrell, Ken Gover, Katy Wilkins. Gareth
Evans

  Plum-headed Finch Bowser
Following up on Michael Ramsay's report of an adult male Plum-headed Finch,
I arrive at the Bowser Station this morning just before 7am. Site was
frozen, with frost and ice on the ground. After doing a lap of the area and
not finding any finches, I returned to path and located the PHF feeding in
the short grass and occasionally calling quietly. It was quite flighty if I
ever tried to approach but at one stage flew up close to me which allowed
for some photos. After watching it for a few minutes, it flew over to the
pond around 20 metres away and continued to call in the reeds. In terms of
the wild vs escapee debate - it was completely natural and relaxed in the
environment through feeding and other behaviours. Doing some research, they
have been some historic records of PHF in Victoria from areas across
central/north Vic. Seeing the area, as Michael reported, rural area with
paddocks, water/swamp, gums and lots of vegetation. Nearest town around
8kms away. According to the Morcombe app, PHF's range do just reach
Victoria and extends right through southern New South Wales. Other positive
thoughts for genuine wild bird is their tendency to travel distances and be
rather nomadic. It would also align with other number of northern birds
currently appearing Victoria (beach stone curlew, s drongo, t grassbird
etc). PHF also seen in Canberra in March and recently in SA. I have also
checked the Victorian Aviculture website and there have been no reports of
missing PHF
James Mustafa

 Sat 2 Aug Plum-headed Finch Bowser
While riding back to Wangaratta on the rail trail I saw a small flock of
Red-browed Finches behind the Bowser Station and heard a different call I
didn't recognise among them. I quickly stopped and to my astonishment a
Plum-headed Finch flew out of the flock and landed in some wattles nearby.
The bird was clearly observed for a number of minutes as it flew between
the wattles and foraged in some short grass by the rail trail. A plum crown
and throat, barring on the breast and warm brown back were all noted and it
seemed slightly bulkier than the Red-browed Finches. It appeared to be an
adult male. I managed some very poor images on my iPhone. As for the origin
of the bird, wild vs aviary escape I can't be 100% sure either way. The
bird seemed wary and hard to approach. The area the bird was in was rural
with paddocks, large gums and revegetation plantings. It was happily
foraging on grass seed heads. Earlier in the year in March a Plum-headed
Finch was reported at Lake Ginninderra in Canberra. The closest other eBird
records from here would be Corwa across to Forbes and Lake Cargelligo in
NSW. There was also the Painted Finches north of Jerilderie by the Yanco
Creek a few years ago as well. I am not aware of this bird being on the
Victorian list, maybe there are some historical records.
Michael Ramsey

 Mon 28 Jul Ostrich Dulkannina Stn, nr Marree, Birdsville Track
Further to the recent report, an adult male Ostrich was seen twice, once
three days ago and again today, whilst travelling up and down the
Birdsville Track. The bird is on Dulkannina Station, a couple of stations
out of Marree. Both times it was seen close to the road, and while wary,
did not seem too afraid of people, allowing for approach to within a few
metres by car. This and its apparent familiarity with cows, is leading me
to suspect this is not an entirely wild bird.
Russell Yong, Jeremy Ringma & Jasmine Lee

 Sun 27 Jul Grey Falcon Clifton Hills Stn, Birdsville Track
One pair of Grey Falcons were seen in the late afternoon (5pm) near
Cowarie. A return visit the next afternoon saw only a Brown Falcon and a
pair of Nankeen Kestrels.
Russell Yong, Jeremy Ringma & Jasmine Lee

 Sat 26 Jul Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross (BARC submission in prep),
Wandering Albatross and Bullers Albatross Offshore--Wollongong pelagic
Highlight of the SOSSA July 2014 trip was an Atlantic Yellow-nosed
Albatross, which did a few passes at the shelf break. It was well
photographed and a submission to BARC will be forthcoming. Other good
sightings included 2 Wandering Albatross, a number of Antipodean/Gibson's
Albatrosses and 3+ Buller's Albatrosses. Numbers of Indian Yellow-nosed,
Black-browed and Campbell Albatrosses were also high. Other sightings
included 2 White-fronted Terns, 4+ Brown Skuas, 6+ Fairy Prions and 6+
Providence Petrels. Noted absences were any Giant-Petrels or Cape Petrels.
It has been nearly 2 years since there was a Cape Petrel sighting on a
SOSSA trip off Wollongong. Photos will be available on the SOSSA website,
see
Brook Whylie, Rob Hynson and others on board the Sandra K

 Fri 11 Jul Painted Finch De Grey River (Great Northern Hwy)
Several birds, male, female, immatures found at an old campfire. They were
seen and photographed consuming small pieces of charcoal. Birds passed
small pieces beak to beak before swallowing. Some research reveals that
aviary birds are regularly fed charcoal as a dietary supplement. The only
mention I can find on the net is a paper from 1963 which notes Finches
doing similar. That researcher reported shooting a few for further
examination! My report and further reports delayed because of bush travel
Paul Newman