birding-aus

Martin Copley

To: "" <>
Subject: Martin Copley
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 08:09:31 +1000
From Geoff Hutchinson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Geoff Hutchinson <>
To: birding-aus <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:25:38 -0700

Martin Copley AM, 1940 - 2014

It is with great sadness that we report that Martin Copley, AWC’s
Founder and Chairman for nearly 15 years, passed away on 30 July after
a short illness.

Martin was a great Australian – in our view, no-one has done more for
the conservation of Australia’s native wildlife.  From the time he
started work at Karakamia in 1991, Martin dedicated his life to saving
Australia’s endangered animals:  from Woylies and Black-flanked
Rock-wallabies to Gouldian Finches and Golden-backed Tree-rats, Martin
has made an extraordinary contribution to slowing and reversing the
extinction crisis in Australia.

You can click here to read more about Martin’s remarkable achievement
in establishing AWC, from his initial acquisition of 200 hectares near
Perth to his role in developing our network of 23 sanctuaries covering
3 million hectares across Australia.
In 2010, Martin was made a Member of the Order of Australia for his
service to conservation and the environment.  Perhaps Martin’s
greatest legacy is the fact that AWC is now supported by thousands of
other people, like you, who share his passion for our native wildlife
and his determination to prevent further extinctions.

Earlier this year, Martin’s daughter, Sophie Chamberlain, joined him
on the AWC Board, ensuring the Copley family’s leadership and
involvement with AWC will continue for many years to come.

This is a very sad time for everyone associated with AWC.  We have
lost a dear friend and the Woylies, Black-flanked Rock-wallabies and
other endangered species have lost a passionate and devoted advocate.

Together, we will celebrate and commemorate Martin’s life and
achievements in a variety of ways over the coming weeks and months.
Most importantly, we will honour Martin and all that he built and
achieved by continuing AWC’s important work … and, in particular,
doing everything we can to save Australia’s wildlife.

 Graeme Morgan
      Atticus Fleming
 Acting Chairman
       Chief Executive
AUSTRALIAN WILDLIFE CONSERVANCY
Phone: +61 8 9380 9633 | Email:  |
www.australianwildlife.org
PO Box 8070 Subiaco East WA 6008 Australia
Sanctuaries | Field Programs | Wildlife | About | News | Support AWC | Contact
© Australian Wildlife Conservancy | Privacy

This email was sent to
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update
subscription preferences
Australian Wildlife Conservancy · Suite 5 · 280 Hay Street · Subiaco,
WA 6008 · Australia