birding-aus

Channel-billed cuckoos overwinter?

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Channel-billed cuckoos overwinter?
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 16:13:37 +1000
Hi All,

Not exactly the NT, but I reported a Channel-billed Cuckoo winter sighting
for Sydney on Birding-aus a couple of years ago (see below). In response,
Nikolas Haass extracted three other winter records for this species from
Eremaea NSW (also shown below).  So it would seem that there are a few CBCs
that overwinter in Australia. First-year birds perhaps? Today, we've had a
few winter records reported on Birding-aus from NT & Qld.  It would be
interesting to see if there are other winter records of this species.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW