birding-aus

Cats and Dogs

To: "" <>
Subject: Cats and Dogs
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:39:46 +1000
This topic may almost be as worn out as one or two others - but since I
harangued my local member on the subject of feral cats and wildlife destruction
- birds in particular  - and he took the trouble to answer promptly - as he
always does - I thought I would pass on the links which cover the NSW and City
of Sydney regulations for microchipping and registration.

All very admirable and certainly the right intent State wide.

However it's a bit harder to use regulations to get rid of the ferals already
in the environment and the "ferals" who dump unwanted litters that were never
microchipped or registered in the first place.

I suggested - with tongue just a little in cheek - that he might like to
encourage the Feds to restore funding to the CSIRO with a particular mandate.

(I was just keen to get the starting point at least well researched for NSW and
I promise not to post on the subject again - unless I discover a better answer
than those already discussed. My apologies to the list if someone beat me to it
on these links and I missed the post).

Regards
Graeme Stevens

The first link involves the Sydney City Council, the second involves the NSW
Government’s Division of Local Government.  Both state relevant rules and
regulations
 for dog and cat ownership.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/live/animals/registration

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_InformationIndex.asp?areaindex=CA&index=302#whatwillhappenififailtoregistermycatordo