birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 14 Jul 2014 10:43:04 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Jul 2014.

Sat 5 Jul Rufous Owl Cairns Esplanade
Walking down the Esplanade at 7 am when I saw a huge owl resting on a branch! No other owl could have been of similar size and colour. Several honeyeaters were mobbing the owl loudly and it only stayed for a few seconds before flying off into a better tree. We tried to refind it but could not spot it again.
Chanith Wijeratne

Double-banded Plover Wongaling Beach
One Double-banded Plover seen along shoreline in company with a Red-capped Plover near Wongaling Creek entrance.also Pied Oystercatcher and Sacred Kingfisher present with Little Kingfisher and Striated Heron seen on previous days, same vicinity.
Paul Burcher, Jacqueline Reifenstein and Isabel Burcher

Fri 4 Jul Square-tailed Kite Mareeba
Flying low over houses near the BP service station on southern approach to town. Another individual seen later near Coffee Works on Mason St.
Greg Bortolussi

Australian Bustard Emerald Creek, east of Mareeba
Pair of Bustards seen in hay paddock opposite the turn-off to Jacques Coffee (Gilmore Road). This would be the most easterly sighting of this species on the Kennedy Highway I have encountered. These appeared to be young birds.
Greg Bortolussi

Australian King-Parrot Davies Creek NP (Dinden NP), Kahlpahlim Trail area
Australian King-Parrot don't seem to be reported very often in Far North Queensland. At the Davies Creek National Park, upper camp site (node 7/8) I've heard that familiar (from Victoria and New South Wales) and distinct parrot call coming from the tall gum trees and soon had 4 Australian King-Parrot fly right over me. Mostly females I believe. Quite unexpected sighting, but they are meant to occur in upland areas of Australian King-Parrot according to Lloyd Nielsen. (Moderator Note. Because this species is not often reported it does not mean that they are uncommon, they are common in upland areas especially on the Atherton Tableland).
G. Santos

Thu 3 Jul Fernwren Davies Creek NP (Dinden NP), Kahlpahlim Trail area
Can't find any reference in Eremaea of Fernwren occurring in the Dinden National Park. Observed 2 Fernwren yesterday morning and found them again in the same spot later that afternoon (ID thus 100%). They were along the road just 200m before reaching the Kahlpahlim trail car park. Easy to observe, but too dark for a photo. Excellent birding along the trail e.g. Chowchilla (2,5), 2 male Victoria's Riflebird at close range, Tooth-billed Bowerbird (5), Bower's Shrike-thrush, Yellow-breasted Boatbill. Bridled Honeyeater pretty vocal between camp node 5/6 and ridge trail car park.
G. Santos

Thu 26 Jun White-gaped Honeyeatrer Daintree township and river
Bird spotted and photograph amongst Cyclone Ita damaged trees on Daintree River banks near the boat ramp
Red Mill House Guest - Alan Cherry

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.