birding-aus

Threatened species commissioner appointed tohelpsave native wildlife | E

To: "Kim Sterelny" <>
Subject: Threatened species commissioner appointed tohelpsave native wildlife | Environment | theguardian.com
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:23:31 +1000
Hi Kim,

I don’t doubt that the impact of cats varies considerably with the geographical
location, amount of natural habitat nearby etc. but there are native rats and
mice and I am sure the typical moggy won’t discriminate.  I saw a photo
recently of a feral cat carrying a dead Ringtail Possum and cats often bring in
small gliders such as Feathertail Gliders.  It would be good to have detailed
scientific data to prove the case but in the absence of that data I would
recommend that people keep their cats away from places where they can come into
contact with native animals.  The impact on reptiles may be greater than the
impact on birds.  There is also a school of thought that suggests that cats
have only replaced the natural predators such as quolls but it is unlikely that
the population size of quolls in a given area, even in their prime, would have
reached the population size of domestic cats.

Regards

Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide