birding-aus

'Chicken Run' and Black-breasted BQ update

Subject: 'Chicken Run' and Black-breasted BQ update
From: John Weigel <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:11:25 +1000
Brendan,

The North American chicken run sounds like a terrific project.  In the mean
time please give us a report on your Alaskan birding trip.

Re BBBQ at Inskip, although I stand by the apparent shrinkage of the area at
the well-known site being 'plateletised', what a difference time-of-day makes:
the birds are much easier to hear scratching about at sunrise, and I had four
sightings of busy little beavers chugging about within a half-hour.

John W

 On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:30:48 -0700, brendan cook <>
wrote:

>This got me thinking, would it be possible to complete a non-lethal Grouse
>Grand Slam with all 7 North American grouse species (12 species if you include
>ptarmigan and prairie-chicken) being observed during the breeding season in
>one short, say 2week trip?
>From what I can gather this would involve crossing through at least 4 states
>(Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Kansas and maybe even venturing across the
>boarder into British Columbia)

It's usually called a "Chicken Run" normally consisting of an April trip to
the four corners of Colorado where it is possible to get

Sharp-tailed Grouse
Greater Prairie-Chicken
Lesser Prairie-Chicken
Greater Sage-Grouse
Gunnison Sage-Grouse
Dusky Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan

With a summer trip to Alaska one could reasonably add

Willow Ptarmigan
Rock Ptarmigan
Spruce Grouse
Ruffed Grouse

To add Sooty Grouse would require a separate trip to one of the Pacific
states or British Columbia.

Colorado "Chicken Runs" are quite popular and lots of fun but getting all
12 species in a single two-week trip would be crazy.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

John Weigel AM
Australian Reptile Park
PO 737 Gosford NSW 2250
(02) 4340 1022