birding-aus

More hybrids - corellas this time

To: "'Simon Robinson'" <>
Subject: More hybrids - corellas this time
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:53:22 +1000
We have exactly the same situation in Canberra, where the Little Corella has
become abundant recently. It has reached 12th most common species in the
most recent compiled years Garden Bird Survey (2012/13), from being almost
non occurring here until 1988. With small numbers of Long-billed Corellas
and, going by appearances and some observed behaviours, some very likely
hybrids. Whether any hybrids are of domestic origin is unknown (somewhat
likely maybe but generally not often suggested). It seems odd that
"aviculture literature, however, refers to hybridisation between long-billed
corellas and galahs (or Major Mitchell cockatoos) to enhance colouring;
hybridisation with little corellas is not mentioned." I strongly suspect
that is simply a reflection of the interests of the authors or what they
might be attempting to achieve or what they think hobbyists might like to
know about, rather than any lesser likelihood or occurrence of hybridisation
between corellas.

Philip