birding-aus

Duck

To: "" <>
Subject: Duck
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:53:20 +1000
Hi everyone

This bird got my pulse racing this morning. Viewed through a cheap par of
bins I keep in the kitchen, I was starting to dream of all those northern
hemisphere possibilities. When I got down to the beach with my camera, I
found I was looking at either a female Mallard, or a Pacific Black Duck x
Mallard hybrid. Can anyone tell me which it is? The orange feet suggest
Mallard, but there is a hint of the upturned tail feathers diagnostic of
male Mallard, so perhaps it is a male hybrid?

Russell Woodford
Limeburners Lagoon, Corio

PS If you can see this image, then it's OK to post images to Birding-Aus,
as long as you keep them under about 1Mb