birding-aus

Black Cockatoos in flight

To: "" <>
Subject: Black Cockatoos in flight
From: Sandy Gilmore <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:02:40 +0000
Hi everone,

A very timely question since I frequently get Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos
flying over and infrequently get Glossy Cockatoos flying over.

While enjoying the sunset a few days back I had both species fly over a few
minutes apart and it was abundantly obvious that Glossy Cockatoos flap their
wings at twice or more the rate of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos.

This is in the situation where I presume both were returning to their night
time roosts and were flying high over a mixture of forest and cleared paddocks.

Aerodynamics experts would be able to explain this inter-specific difference
based substantially on their relative body weights, and wing areas and wing
spans.

See http://jeb.biologists.org/content/150/1/171.full.pdf

On another matter I have increased my White-throated Needletail  sightings over
summer by an order of magnitude, plus observing other interesting birds, by
taking time to observe the sunset as often as possible.

Cheers,

Sandy

Sandy Gilmore
Arid Zone Ecologist

Bush Heritage Australia
"Morinda" 240 Mafeking Road, Goonengerry NSW 2482.

Conservation Support Centre
Level 5, 395 Collins Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
www.bushheritage.org.au<http://www.bushheritage.org.au/>

T: +61(0)2 6684 9178
M: +61(0)427 686 985

Image.JPG]<http://www.bushheritage.org.au/>

[http://www.bushheritage.org.au/images/email/email-footer.jpg]
<http://www.bushheritage.org.au/bha-email-footer-link>

footer-img

[PwC Transparency awards - Top 10 Finalist 2013. $5m to $30m category]

Bush Heritage Australia was pleased to be recognised as one of the 10 finalists
in the revenue $5m to $30m category in the 2013 PwC Transparency Awards for the
quality and transparency of our reporting.