birding-aus

Herald Petrel records in Australia - excluding Raine Island

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Herald Petrel records in Australia - excluding Raine Island
From: robert morris <>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:31:52 +0000
Hi there,
I've been looking around for all the Herald Petrel records I can find for
Australia (excluding the birds which breed on Raine Island). This is the list I
have come up with.
1.
Nov 1962 300km SE of Nowra (Federal waters) From
King, 1983.

2.     Jan
1971 Burleigh Heads  Qld, From King, 1983.

3.     18 May 1979, 30km E of Ballina, NSW BARC.

4.     May
1981 Lihou Reef  Qld Waters From King,
1983.

5.     May
1981 Wreck Reef  Qld Waters From King,
1983.

6.     30 October 1982 Sydney Pelagic (36km offshore)  NSW BARC.

7.     11 March 2000 Southport Pelagic, Qld, BARC.

8.     10 January 2001, Dunnalley, Tasmania, BARC.

9.     7 July 2002, Southport Pelagic, Qld  All dark
bird. Notes from Birding-Aus.

10.  26 March 2005 Wollongong Pelagic  NSW, SOSSA
website.

11.  29 August 2006, Christmas Island, Offshore territory, BARC.

12.  28 April 2012, Lord Howe Island, NSW, On-line photos from Jack Shick.
The pre-1982 records are from - King, B. R (1984) The Herald Petrel - Breeding
on Raine Island. Emu 84. The other records are from BARC, and looking on line.
I have only found 12 records of which I think only 5 have been though BARC?
It's clearly an extremely scarce bird away from Raine Island. Am I missing any
other records?
ThanksRob Morris

Brisbane, Australia